is proud to announce the inductees of the 2019 Giants of Cancer Care®
recognition program. This year, the program will honor 15 respected health care professionals who are advancing the field of oncology by their contributions in research and clinical practice. The winners will be celebrated at the seventh annual Giants of Cancer Care®
Winners’ Reception on May 30 at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.
“We are looking forward to honoring each of these outstanding individuals at this year’s Giants of Cancer Care®
celebration,” said Michael J. Hennessy Jr., president of MJH Associates, parent company of OncLive®
. “Each inductee has worked hard to propel the field of oncology forward through groundbreaking and innovative contributions in cancer treatment, diagnosis, and research.”
This year’s Giants of Cancer Care®
inductees are the following:
- Breast Cancer – Dr. Eric P. Winer, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Harvard Medical School
- Cancer Diagnostics – Charles M. Perou, Ph.D., University of North Carolina School of Medicine/Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Community Outreach, Education, and/or Cancer Policy – Dr. Richard Pazdur, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Gastrointestinal Cancer – Dr. Alan P. Venook, University of California, San Francisco/Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Genitourinary Cancer – Dr. Bernard J. Escudier, Institute Gustave Roussy, Paris, France
- Gynecologic Malignancies – Dr. Beth Y. Karlan, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles
- Leukemia – Dr. Frederick R. Appelbaum, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center/University of Washington
- Lung Cancer – Dr. David H. Johnson, The University of Texas Southwest Medical Center
- Lymphoma – Dr. Saul A. Rosenberg, Stanford University
- Melanoma & Other Skin Cancers – Dr. F. Stephen Hodi, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Myeloma – Dr. S. Vincent Rajkumar, Mayo Clinic
- Pediatric Oncology – Dr. Donald Pinkel, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Prevention/Genetics – Henry T. Lynch M.D., Ph.D., Creighton University
- Supportive, Palliative, and/or Geriatric Care – Dr. Jamie H. Von Roenn, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Translational Science – Susan B. Horwitz, Ph.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Nominated by the oncology community, all finalists are selected by an elite seven-member advisory board of world-renowned oncologists. The finalists in each category are then voted on by a 115-plus member selection committee comprising world leading physicians in the oncology space. Winners have been selected in 15 categories: breast cancer; cancer diagnosis; community outreach, education and/or cancer policy; gastrointestinal cancer; genitourinary cancer; gynecologic malignancies; leukemia; lung cancer; lymphoma; melanoma and other skin cancers; myeloma; pediatric oncology; prevention/genetics, supportive, palliative and/or geriatric care, and translational science.
Supporters of the event are Athenex, Ipsen, and Incyte.
A digital platform of resources for practicing oncologists, OncLive®
offers oncology professionals information they can use to help provide the best patient care. OncLive.com is the official website for the MJH Associates, Inc. Oncology Specialty Group, which publishes OncologyLive®
, Oncology Nursing News® and more. MJH Associates, Inc. is a full-service health care communications company offering education, research, and medical media, including curetoday.com and CURE®
magazine, the largest U.S. consumer publication focused entirely on cancer. Combining science and humanity to make cancer understandable, CURE®
reaches patients, cancer centers, and advocacy groups.
About Giants of Cancer Care®
Giants of Cancer Care®
celebrates the achievements of leading researchers and educators whose discoveries have helped propel the field of oncology and established the building blocks for future advances. Every year, a selection committee of 115-plus eminent oncologists, researchers, and clinicians choose honorees from several different tumor types and specialty categories.