Fifteen world-renowned leaders in hematology and oncology whose research has improved and extended the lives of millions of patients make up the 2019 class of Giants of Cancer Care®
award winners. This year's recipients include physician–scientists who conducted groundbreaking clinical trials, made important discoveries in cancer genetics, and are developing cutting-edge therapeutics to provide personalized patient care.
The 2019 Giants of Cancer Care®
award winners and their respective categories are:
- Eric P. Winer, MD—Breast Cancer
- Charles M. Perou, PhD—Cancer Diagnostics
- Richard Pazdur, MD—Community Outreach, Education, and/or Cancer Policy
- Alan P. Venook, MD—Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Bernard J. Escudier, MD—Genitourinary Cancer
- Beth Y. Karlan, MD—Gynecologic Malignancies
- Frederick R. Appelbaum, MD—Leukemia
- David H. Johnson, MD—Lung Cancer
- Saul A. Rosenberg, MD—Lymphoma
- F. Stephen Hodi, MD—Melanoma and Other Skin Cancers
- S. Vincent Rajkumar, MD—Myeloma
- Donald P. Pinkel, MD—Pediatric Oncology
- Henry T. Lynch, MD—Prevention/Genetics
- Jamie H. Von Roenn, MD—Supportive, Palliative, and/or Geriatric Care
- Susan Band Horwitz, PhD—Translational Science
The winners are scheduled to be honored at a ceremony on May 30, 2019, at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago, Illinois.
The award recipients were chosen from a field of more than 600 clinicians and investigators, a record number of nominees that represents a 16% increase over 2018. This year's roster included a record-high 64 international candidates from 25 countries.
Each member of the 2019 class has been deemed by his or her peers to be a person who challenges the conventional wisdom with innovative, even revolutionary, contributions to clinical research, translational care, and/or patient care.
... to read the full story