2 Clarke Drive
Cranbury, NJ 08512
© 2022 MJH Life Sciences™ and OncLive - Clinical Oncology News, Cancer Expert Insights. All rights reserved.
Shilpa Gupta, MD, discusses the results of the PARADIGM study in locally advanced or metastatic urothelial cancer.
Shilpa Gupta, MD, oncologist, Hematology and Medical Oncology, Cleveland Clinic, discusses the results of the PARADIGM study in locally advanced or metastatic urothelial cancer.
The retrospective PARADIGM study utilized qualitative interviews to assess physician treatment decision-making and prescribing patterns in the United States for patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial cancer.
A total of 150 medical oncologists were interviewed via survey on what may influence their decision for treatment. Approximately 63% of those surveyed were community oncologists, and the remaining 37% were academic oncologists, Gupta says. Responders were classified based on frontline treatment decisions and the rationale for that decision to determine how frequently systemic therapies are used in the first line and maintenance, including chemotherapy and immunotherapy, Gupta adds. Data showed 46% of patients were offered frontline therapy, which was an increased rate from prior retrospective studies, Gupta explains.
Emerging therapies and increased options have given oncologists more options to offer patients, though there is still room for improvement, Gupta continues. Researchers also found that the reasoning behind an oncologist’s decision of whether to use a certain treatment varied, Gupta says. More research needs to be done to create awareness and make therapy options more readily available to patients, Gupta concludes.