Dr. Maziarz on Unanswered Questions With CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL

Richard T. Maziarz, MD
Published: Monday, Jun 03, 2019



Richard T. Maziarz, MD, professor of medicine at Oregon Health & Science University, Knight Cancer Institute, discusses unanswered questions with CAR T-cell therapy in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL).

Traditionally in DLBCL, physicians expected 15% to 20% of patients to be alive at the 2-year mark. Now, with the emergence of CAR T-cell therapy, researchers expect approximately 40% of patients to be alive at the 2-year mark. This is encouraging because a survival of at least 2 years indicates long-term survival, Maziarz says. However, that still leaves 60% of patients who need effective therapy. Therefore, a better understanding of what drives resistance is crucial.

Moreover, CAR T-cell therapy is associated with unique toxicities, and researchers need to make the treatment safer so more patients can receive it. For example, a proliferation event can occur as a result of cells growing fast.
SELECTED
LANGUAGE


Richard T. Maziarz, MD, professor of medicine at Oregon Health & Science University, Knight Cancer Institute, discusses unanswered questions with CAR T-cell therapy in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL).

Traditionally in DLBCL, physicians expected 15% to 20% of patients to be alive at the 2-year mark. Now, with the emergence of CAR T-cell therapy, researchers expect approximately 40% of patients to be alive at the 2-year mark. This is encouraging because a survival of at least 2 years indicates long-term survival, Maziarz says. However, that still leaves 60% of patients who need effective therapy. Therefore, a better understanding of what drives resistance is crucial.

Moreover, CAR T-cell therapy is associated with unique toxicities, and researchers need to make the treatment safer so more patients can receive it. For example, a proliferation event can occur as a result of cells growing fast.

View Conference Coverage
Online CME Activities
TitleExpiration DateCME Credits
Publication Bottom Border
Border Publication
x